Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Of strawberry fields, doofus drivers and chase cars

On our way to Anchorage.

Driving to Big Y yesterday I was astonished to see some big machines digging holes at the strawberry fields next to the old Kennedy place. It almost makes me sad to see what seems to be a new house and garage going up. Time surely marches on. It is a beautiful property and the house will be situated above the brook, looking out over the pond. Whoever owns the property has already put a cement bridge across the brook. I remember crossing on logs so we could go and pick shagbarks in the fall. There was no pond then. Maybe this getting older isn't too bad. Lots of good memories coming to play. I'm sure that the new owners will love their site. Perhaps they are related to the original owners or the Buell/Merrill families. I kinda hope so.

Got on the highway at entrance 88 and as I got off at 87 a strange occurrence. The man in front of me was in the dedicated left lane, had his right turn signal on and went straight! Oops! Lost? On the way back there were two black Chargers, unmarked, checking out North bound traffic. It's a good thing that I just about reach 65mph before I get off. The police have been patrolling that area heavily because of the many accidents this past year.

Went to Lizzy B's this morning and the weather is out of whack. There is considerably more snow coming down in Oneco than there is in Sterling! It's supposed to snow/rain all day but not accumulate more than an inch. (There were already about 2 inches in Oneco!) I hope they're right because I have to be in Groton for noon today.

Quote: Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. __Hawthorne

4 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Strange. Given the terrain, I'd expect that the Ekonk Hill Ridge might get more snow as it is about 600'. Everywhere else is basically 400'.

Qu'que chose said...

No clue what Ekonk got because we went up Rte. 14. But it was strange that from the point where the railroad tracks used to cross Rte.14 near Wacky Pond there was considerably more snow all the way to the restaurant. What? No comment on my maple syrup? Gee willikers. What does a person have to do to get some respect around here?

2Evil4U said...

I saw it. I'm jealous, so no comment. ;-)

Qu'que chose said...

Cool!