Friday, May 28, 2010

Gorgeous day . . .

Went to Hollywood Bowl in Stockton to celebrate D.'s passing the first third of her Microsoft Certification. What a blast! Grampa won two out of three. I think I was last for all three strings. G. and D. had a discussion about "strings" versus "games" and it seems that strings is New England colloquial and game is used every where else in the known world! That was fun. After our strings we went to dinner at Franky's & Benny's. It's a UK chain but everything about it is American! Only problem we had is that they were having three, yes count them, one, two, three kids birthday parties! It was almost ludicrous but we did manage to hang in there and the food was good. I had lamb shank and was so hungry from the bowling and 4 miles of walking in Middleton St. George that I ate every single bite plus drinking my Cabernet.

We took our daily walk about town and then it was a perfect day for some gardening! I weeded one of the neat stone walks in the garden. It was already looking good but I'm thinking I helped to make an English garden just a bit perkier! How great is that? Super! Also played cards out in my special corner where the winds only blew the cards away once. D. And G. made fish and chips for dinner. It is served with Mushy Peas. I have to admit I did a double take when I saw them but they were delicious! They are the brightest green imaginable and, yes,mushy. But decidedly delicious with the fish and chips. They taste like a thick pea soup and I do love pea soup. Mémère would have had a conniption fit to see green peas but I'll be buying some when I get home. I'd probably eat more fish if I had mushy peas to cut the taste!

Just got back from the Oak Tree pub. It's very bright and sleek. It seems rather strange that it's a family place. There is a playground for the kids, picnic tables and the ubiquitous pool table, and bien sur, the big screen TV belting out the latest music video. It's not a big place place but just right for the neighborhood. Next time Grampa and I will have to try them out for lunch.

No comments: