Saturday, May 29, 2010

Alnwick Castle . . .

Went to Alnwick today, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, which is about 50 or so miles North of Middleton St. George. D. decided we should visit the gardens first and that was truly brilliant because although it was quite cool and spitting when we arrived it turned out very rainy when we decided to go inside the castle. We ate lunch at the castle, lamb burgers! Very delicious. What an extraordinary day. The castle dates to 1096. It's just incredible what lives the old walls have seen! The present Duke of Northumberland and his family live in the castle and we were allowed to enter many rooms, in particular the library, dining room chapel and rooms so full of great paintings. I really think that I would enjoy living in such a castle. Kiddo would have such a great time. We were going to stop in at Hadrian's wall on the way home but it was raining so hard that I told D. it wasn't worth the trouble. When I get to the wall I want to be able to feel it, walk along it, commune with it . . . in the warmth of the sun.

We stopped at Morrisons and picked up some pizzas for supper. We have a Gooseberry wine and a Damson Plum cooling but we'll have those tomorrow evening to celebrate our stay here with this our youngest and her generous friend G.

Oh, and did I mention that the first two Harry Potter films were filmed using parts of Alnwick Castle! That is so neat. I'll have some photos for the blog after we get home and I download them to the computer. I don't have the photo kit, yet, for the iPad. Even Grampa has condescended to work on it.

No comments: